Re: F39 Change Proposal: Build Fedora Workstation live ISO with Image Builder (System-Wide)

On Wed, Jun 28, 2023 at 5:23 AM Ondřej Budai <obudai@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Maybe I'm just using it wrong, but I've not found a different way.

I will take a look. The difference between livemedia and osbuildImage is that the osbuildImage task is defined by a plugin and it interacts with koji via the content generator API. Koji sometimes have issues presenting information nicely for CGs. If anyone has more experience with Koji internals, help would be definitely appreciated.

It would be great to address this before adopting the proposed change. I do wonder if there is a way to change the "osbuildimage" to be much more similar to an "image" build. Or something like that. The information conveyed by an "image" vs "osbuildimage" is so much more useful. I don't know the Koji internals much anymore, but there has to be a way to make this better.

We can definitely flatten the JSON output into something that resembles a log file. I will let you know when this is done.

Note that every task also produces a manifest file - this is extremely useful, because you can just feed it to osbuild locally. Since the manifest basically fully specifies an image build (with locked package versions including their hashes), there's a high chance that you will be just able to reproduce the issue locally and use any tools you want for deeper debugging. This is one of the goals of the project: Make image builds more reproducible.

Both the JSON and raw logs are useful. Very glad to know that the manifest will allow recreation of the build artifact. I'd like to see all of that presented similar to a build that packagers are used to (e.g. https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=2222698). Maybe this is more a Koji enhancement, but I still question moving this proposal forward without addressing the buildsys UX/UI. Let's be sure to not bury very useful things when making changes.

--
Jonathan Steffan