Re: Towards enabling rpm sysusers integration

On Fri, Jun 23, 2023 at 08:20:58PM +0200, Michal Domonkos wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 22, 2023 at 01:18:27PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> > Now that the initial hurdle of getting rpm 4.19 into rawhide is over, it's
> > time to start looking towards enabling the sysusers integration:
> > https://rpm-software-management.github.io/rpm/manual/users_and_groups.html
>
> [...]
>
> > 3. The various %sysuser_()* macros in systemd-rpm-macros need to be phased
> > out. As it'll be a long time before the sysusers feature is in all Fedora
> > versions, it needs a longer term plan. One simple possibility is do what was
> > done with all those ldconfig from %post back then: change the %sysusers_()
> > macros to no-ops in rawhide to let rpm handle it, and only actually bother
> > updating packages once all relevant versions have the sysusers feature.
>
> This proposal would effectively move all existing packages that create users or
> groups from useradd/groupadd (called by those %sysuser* macros underneath) to
> systemd-sysusers(8).
>
> I wonder if we shouldn't first just move those macros over to systemd-sysusers
> to test-drive this utility at a larger scale and catch any potential bugs or
> issues before actually proceeding with the remaining steps as outlined in the
> email.

I don't think so. Either way, the actual implementation is going to be a call to
systemd-sysusers. But the rpm-internal approach is quite different in how the
call is constructed from the macro-based approach, so the failure modes are
likely to be different. If were to switch to the macro-based approach
temporarily, we'd create quite a lot of churn and _different_ failure modes. So
I think that if we're switching to sysusers as the implementation, we should go
for the intended final approach immediately.

Zbyszek