Re: Towards enabling rpm sysusers integration

On Thu, Jun 22, 2023 at 01:18:27PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> Now that the initial hurdle of getting rpm 4.19 into rawhide is over, it's
> time to start looking towards enabling the sysusers integration:
> https://rpm-software-management.github.io/rpm/manual/users_and_groups.html

[...]

> 3. The various %sysuser_()* macros in systemd-rpm-macros need to be phased
> out. As it'll be a long time before the sysusers feature is in all Fedora
> versions, it needs a longer term plan. One simple possibility is do what was
> done with all those ldconfig from %post back then: change the %sysusers_()
> macros to no-ops in rawhide to let rpm handle it, and only actually bother
> updating packages once all relevant versions have the sysusers feature.

This proposal would effectively move all existing packages that create users or
groups from useradd/groupadd (called by those %sysuser* macros underneath) to
systemd-sysusers(8).

I wonder if we shouldn't first just move those macros over to systemd-sysusers
to test-drive this utility at a larger scale and catch any potential bugs or
issues before actually proceeding with the remaining steps as outlined in the
email.

That's a lower-risk first step that should be fairly easy to implement right
away, as mentioned in:

    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Adopting_sysusers.d_format

--
Michal Domonkos / RPM dev team / Red Hat, Inc.