Re: Are we ready for ipv6-mostly networks?

Once upon a time, Michal Schorm <mschorm@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
> How can one set up a temporary network of several devices for a LAN
> party or any similar connecting application use cases?
> From my own experience, the vast majority of people have no idea that
> when one tells you "write in: ten zero zero eight", they have to put
> dots in between. Because they have no idea what IP address is and how
> it's formatted.
>
> I can't imagine I would say this out loud to even a tech experienced
> person and they would get it right the first time.
> 1a01:4204:b07d:af00:21c6:542a:611:73ea
>
> Not mentioning all the times I need to connect devices in many rooms
> across several floors in the whole building.
>
> Is there any easy way to keep exchanging the IP address 'human usable' ?

There are some ways, but really, for those uses, just have a router
handling it, just like setting up DHCP for IPv4 is much easier than
having everybody type IPs (and then making sure there are no IP
conflicts and such).  Even if you don't have Internet connectivity, you
can set up what's known as a ULA prefix (IIRC OpenWRT chooses a random
ULA prefix by default).  That plus SLAAC and/or DHCPv6 means people plug
in and it "just works".

And from there, things like Zerconf/Avahi allow you to find other
systems on the local LAN without having to type IPs.  Unless you are a
network person, the majority of the time now you shouldn't have to care
about IP addresses (v4 or v6).

But... since v6 addresses are hex, that does give a little more room for
manually assigning "creative" addresses... you'll see a number of things
that have an address that includes :dead:beef: for example. :)

Also, for people who like to use public DNS resolvers (you shouldn't)
like Google's 8.8.8.8, the shortest addresses on the Internet are 2a09::
and 2a11:: (shorter than any possible v4 address).
--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>