Re: LibreOffice packages

On Sat, Jun 3 2023 at 10:26:07 AM -0000, John Iliopoulos <jxftw2424@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

While i completely understand why you do this i do think that it is important for desktop/workstation oriented devices to have some optional access to Office directly from the image file. Have you considered shipping the LibreOffice flatpak via the ISO much like Fedora Silverblue does with various other applications?

This is the first time i reply to a mailing list so i hope i have not done anything wrong.

Hi. Welcome to the list. You haven't done anything wrong.

For Fedora Workstation, the mid-term plan is to ship all preinstalled apps as Fedora Flatpaks. We cannot ship anything from Flathub because FESCo will not allow it. I don't *like* this FESCo requirement, but I also don't expect that to change. Accordingly, since Fedora Flatpaks are built from Fedora RPMs, maintaining the LibreOffice RPMs is essential to keep LibreOffice preinstalled. (I think that applies to Silverblue as well?)

My $0.02: maintaining complex desktop applications as part of the operating system requires significant effort and produces low value for users when you can easily install that app from Flathub instead. (It *especially* doesn't make sense to do in RHEL, but let's focus on Fedora here.) I'd rather focus on the OS bits where we actually add real serious value. But I also do want the office suite to remain preinstalled in Workstation because the office apps are "killer apps" for desktop users and being able to handle office documents out-of-the-box is very important for users who are new to Linux and unfamiliar with how to do this with nothing installed; most people have probably never even heard of LibreOffice and wouldn't know to look for it, and I doubt online alternatives like Google Docs will be acceptable to users who need to work on local documents.

So it comes down to maintenance. If people help Gwyn keep LibreOffice building, updated, and working with a reasonable level of quality, then I'm personally happy to keep it preinstalled, and I hope the Workstation Working Group will agree. Probably the most important first step is to keep track of orphaned dependencies and make sure they do not get retired. Of course, this is much easier said than done....

Michael