Re: F39 Change Proposal: Build JDKs once, repack everywhere (System-Wide Change)

All this change is about the burden of maintaining so many OpenJDK branches as packages in FEdora. Maybe Fedora should stop distributing ancient Java versions as one of our missions is to be cutting edge, maybe we are still encouraging too many projects to stay running on Java 8.

I am saying this as some that would be affected if Java 8 isn't packaged anymore, I still need to develop and test some things with Java 8 because at work we have some customers still running ancient hardware and have been a pain to make them move to modern distributions. So I will have to us another universal OpenJDK build (like Temurin)

Maybe Fedora should just package the latest JDK needed for Android development and the latest LTS version. An even the Android (11 I think) could be skipped because Android Studio includes a build of it. If there are packages still requiring old things, help to update them could be offered by packagers, or dropped from the distribution.

To reduce number of jdks remains an option, but few hints:
Me, as end user application provider would rather `dnf install/update java` then maintain 3rd aprty blob. At least the java is known to be working and on Fedora and is built by trusted infrastructure (which I case to agree for every other vendor). And I need all four javas as are currently shipped in fedora.
Me, as fedora dummy user do not care. I need system jdk working.
Me, as fedora advanced user do not want to solve fedora-specific issues.
Me as jdk maintainer cares, just count:
jdk 8,11,17, latest and 21 - 5jdks. For 3-4 live fedoras. Each with 4 platforms. Lets skip the platforms, but they still count to both HW and human cycles.
That is  12-20 jdk binary builds per platform which have to be certified
If we build once and repack, that would be just 4-5  binaries which needs to be certified.
If we would keep just system jdk then it  will not help at all:
 - we have to keep java-latest-openjdk because its bleeding edge technology which fedora shoudl provide
 - next LTS, and thus next system jdk is always forked from java-latest-openjdk => you have *two* jdks on 3-4 systems every time (thus 6-8 certifications)
- the system JDK is not constant but shifts. In worst scenario there will be 3 system JDKs in 3 live fedoras, but msot likely there will be indeed 1-2 system JDKS. But that is still twho from above + 1-2 from this line, and thus we are back on maintaining 3-4JDKS on 3-4 fedoras:(

All is much more then buils once and repack everywhere:(

J.