Re: HEADS UP: RPM 4.19 soname bump in Rawhide

On Fri, 2023-05-19 at 22:59 +0200, Michal Domonkos wrote:
> On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 05:37:06PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > Nevertheless I do believe if the librpm changed its API then every
> > package which _BuildRequires_ rpm-devel should be rebuilt, just to
> > check the change doesn't affect them.
>
> Yes, we were primarily focusing on runtime dependencies now so that Rawhide
> isn't broken when the side-tag is pushed, however any API incompatibility in
> the packages that BuildRequire rpm-devel would just be pushed back to the
> earliest moment they're rebuilt in Rawhide by their maintainers.
>
> So I also think that ideally we should try rebuilding those ourselves to
> identify potential issues while 4.19 is not yet in Rawhide.
>
> I'll talk to my team on Monday, we'll perhaps do just that.  A quick check with
>
>     dnf repoquery --release=rawhide --disablerepo="*" --enablerepo="*-source" \
>                   --arch=src --whatrequires rpm-devel
>
> shows a couple of additional packages that weren't covered in this thread so
> far:
>
>     fastfetch
>     gcc
>     gdb
>     grub2
>     grubby
>     javapackages-bootstrap
>     ocaml-dose3
>     sblim-cmpi-rpm
>     xmvn-generator

I've no idea why it didn't show up in either version of the list, but
deltarpm should have been on there:

[adamw@xps13a SLOF (master)]$ rpm -q --requires deltarpm | grep rpm
librpm.so.9()(64bit)
librpmio.so.9()(64bit)

it has a straightforward 'BuildRequires: rpm-devel' in its spec file,
so it's weird that your searches didn't find it.

I'm rebuilding it...
--
Adam Williamson (he/him/his)
Fedora QA