Re: more distinct default bash prompt?

On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 07:07:17AM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 1:08 AM Jens-Ulrik Petersen <petersen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 12:47 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> I actually would prefer that we color both, and make it obvious that
> >> "root" is special. We should account for common color-blindness
> >> issues, though.
> >

> > Sure, I think I agree: perhaps purple for root?
> >
> > I am all for "color blind testing" (though I am not completely sure that "color-blind" is the right term here
> > though I am not an a11y expert - I thought color blind is more about differentiating different colors like green and red,
> > but if you mean visual impairment/contrast/readability then I completely agree).
> > I think in the end it will come down also to wider user testing since there are so many different terminals
> > and color palettes around.
> >
> > Anyway that's why I proposed green since it seems to have reasonable contrast for both light and dark terminals (unlike blue/cyan/yellow often).
> > I assume that may also be why Ubuntu and Nixos went with green.
> >

> Basically, I mean "don't use red for root and green for regular user"
> since that cannot be distinguished by red+green colorblind people.

Colorblind person here.  It's not a simple thing because everyone who has some
level of color blindness will be different than someone else.  I may be able
to see more or different reds and greens than another person.

I can say with 100% certainty that if default prompts are gain colors in
Fedora, I will turn that off for myself.  I try not to use colors for anything
(again, special user case here...someone once described my mutt configuration
as "brutalist").  That said, I don't care what the defaults are, just make it
so I can easily turn that stuff off.

Shell customizations are very personal anyway and everyone has favorites.  I
suggest packaging yours as an /etc/profile.d file in a Copr project, then
enabling that repo when you install or set up a VM.

> Purple may work for root to fix that.

$ vs. # has long been established as the distinguisher between a non-root and
root shell.  That's what I would rely on.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Color wise, purple would actually be really bad for me because I can't
distinguish that from red in many cases.  But it usually registers as
"different" than green.

(with apologies to zsh, but we all have wild zshrc files anyway and some us
spell "$" as "%".)

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Red Hat, Inc. | Boston, MA | EST5EDT