Re: F39 Change Proposal: Flatpaks without Modules (System-Wide Change)

On Wed, May 17, 2023 at 4:42 AM Petr Pisar <ppisar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> Any Fedora packager can rebuild a package into f39-app using 'fepdkg
> build --target=f39-app'.

[...]
> Once a package exists in f39-app or f38-app, then
> [[https://gitlab.com/redhat/centos-stream/ci-cd/distrosync/distrobuildsync
> distrobuildsync]] will be used to do a build into f39-app each time a
> standard build completes.

Do I understand correctly that flapaks containing the same package actually
reuses the same package build? E.g. if a flatpak for Firefox requires a nss
package and a flatpak for Thunderbird requires the same nss package, then nss
is built into f39-app only once and both Firefox and Thunderbird flapaks are
created from the same nss package build?

Yes, that's the idea. While we had the theoretical ability to build libraries differently when bundling into different Flatpaks, in the vast majority of cases, we did not use that capability.

Because if there were a need for rebuilding the same package for different
flapaks differently, using a single Koji target would not not work. A Koji tag
only presents the latest build of a package.

Yep. The side tag mechanism could possibly be used if a situation arose where we *did* need different builds, but I don't see that need.

- Owen