Re: F39 proposal: BiggerESP (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Wed, 2023-05-10 at 18:46 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mi, 10.05.23 11:20, Simo Sorce (simo@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > It sounds reasonable for sure.
> > The only concern is, given Microsoft creates at most 500MB ESP
> > partitions, are we sure all UEFI systems out there will not choke on a
> > 1GB one?
>
> Well, I don't really think we have a reason to believe that a 1G ESP
> was any more problematic than a 0.1G ESP. I am not aware of any
> reports, and given that FAT32 is mandated by UEFI since basically
> always, I think there's no immediate reason to believe we are in
> trouble.
>
> I think the only reasonable approach here is to pick a larger default
> in a development distro, and collect feedback.
>
> > Can't we reduce the number of kernels by having *only* one UKI and a
> > rescue one that can be used to restore the previous working UKI from
> > /root if the active one fails?
>
> I'd kill the rescue concept as a separate kernel. Pre-compiled UKIs
> provided by Fedora should be comprehensive and suitable enough to be
> rescue images, I don't see why we need a second version of that. The
> only difference between a rescue boot and a regular boot should be one
> of parameterization, not of picking different kernel.

The next paragraph you cut off was proposing just that :-)

The reason why I still mentioned the rescue kernel is, as Dan mentioned
that in order to use a single UKI for both regular and rescue function
we'd need to be able to select between multiple signed command lines.
Once that is possible, I definitely would go with A/B images and stop
relying on years old rescue kernels as fallback.

Simo.

> Lennart
>
> --
> Lennart Poettering, Berlin