Re: disabling yum modular repos by default?

V Tue, May 09, 2023 at 12:31:54PM +0800, Jens-Ulrik Petersen napsal(a):
> I have been thinking about proposing a Change to Fedora 39,
> which would disable yum modular repos by default in installs.
> I thought I would float the idea here first.
>
> I suspect the vast majority of Fedora users don't use
> the modular repos

Probably. But I don't know. We will know from countme statistics after we
disable them.

>, so I don't see the point of enabling
> them by default anymore. Does this make sense?

That makes sense.

> I know dnf5 is coming with performance improvements
> but I still think turning off the modular repos would speed up dnf
> and save users a lot of time.

How much is a lot of time?

I measured cached "dnf upgrade" (i.e. DNF4) on rawhide without and with the modular
repository 5 times and the times are 1.022 vs. 1.090 seconds. I.e. 6.2% speedup.

Then I removed caches and looked at download times. I again did 5 tries, but
the variance in dowload times reported by DNF was significantly useless. So
I can only say that a size of the transmitted data is 71.0 MB for nonmodular
repository and 1.6 MB modular repository. However, even this comparison is not
fair as a different compression algorithm is used.

-- Petr