Re: memtest86plus v6.00

Sorry for reviving this old thread but memtest86+ just hit 6.20
milestone and it looks like they restored non-UEFI boot support. Looks
like it could be done for both types of systems as easy as this
(assuming you're using grub2 for booting the kernel):

menuentry 'memtest86+' {
        insmod part_gpt
        insmod ext2
        set root='hd0,gpt1'
        if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,gpt1
--hint-efi=hd0,gpt1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt1  <actual fs uuid>
        else
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root <actual fs uuid>
        fi
        linux /boot/memtest64.efi
}

Should we just start moving forward away from the quite antique 5.xx version?

On Fri, Oct 7, 2022 at 3:00 PM Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Earlier discussion:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg169800.html
>
> Current memtest86+ 5.x requires non-UEFI, which makes it increasingly
> irrelevant to modern hardware.  memtest86 forked into a proprietary
> product some time ago.  However there is hope because upstream
> memtest86+ 6.00 is (a) open source and (b) seems to work despite the
> large warnings on the website:
>
> https://memtest.org/
>
> Note this new version is derived from pcmemtest mentioned in the
> thread above which is only indirectly derived from memtest86+ 5.x and
> removes some features.
>
> So my question is are we planning to move to v6.00 in future?
>
> I did attempt to build a Fedora RPM, but it basically involves
> removing large sections of the existing RPM (eg. the downstream script
> we add seems unnecessary now and the downstream README would need to
> be completely rewritten).  It's probably only necessary to have
> memtest.efi be installed as /boot/memtest.efi and although it won't
> appear automatically in the grub menu, it can be accessed by a trivial
> two line command.
>
> Rich.
>
> --
> Richard Jones, Virtualization Group, Red Hat http://people.redhat.com/~rjones
> Read my programming and virtualization blog: http://rwmj.wordpress.com
> virt-p2v converts physical machines to virtual machines.  Boot with a
> live CD or over the network (PXE) and turn machines into KVM guests.
> http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v

With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.