Re: changing the name of a package

Thanks, Sandro!

The reason stapler was published as pdf-stapler was that there was then a package called stapler on Fedora, so it was suggested to me that I use pdf-stapler, which is any case better because it emphasizes that the software is for pdfs. However, the name stapler itself is quite meaningless but upstream did not buy my argument:-(  Perhaps we call it python-pdf-stapler?

I will look into making use of the Python macros. Hopefully it is not problematic, because I am still not all that familliar with the process. Thanks!

On Saturday, May 6, 2023 at 09:58:48 AM CDT, Sandro <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 06-05-2023 16:44, Globe Trotter via devel wrote:
> Right, but not pdf-stapler. I would have thought that that might be
> included too. Anyway, I am the maintainer for pdf-stapler so I can
> make myself aware, but I hope I will not be missing others.

Well, looking at the spec file of pdf-stapler you can see why that is:

%package -n python3-staplelib
Requires:      python3-PyPDF2

By the way, since you are the maintainer of pdf-stapler, I'd highly
recommend transforming the spec file so it makes use of the Python
macros. That will autogenerate dependencies and provides. See [1].

Moreover, pdf-stapler package itself should probably be renamed to
python-stapler to comply with the PyPI parity requirements [2] of the
packaging guidelines. The package is published on PyPI as 'stapler'.

[1] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/Python/
[2]
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/Python/#_pypi_parity

-- Sandro