Re: How to drop 32bit support from the scientific Python stack

On Thu, May 04, 2023 at 02:40:41PM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Thu, May 04, 2023 at 04:03:49PM +0200, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> > Hello folks,
> ...snip...
> >
> > Would that be possible?
>
> I don't think it currently is... but sounds like a reasonable RFE to
> koji to me.
>
> The way koji handles noarch packages is that it builds them on all
> arches, checks to make sure they are all the same and just picks one to
> be the 'output' build.
>
> I think it would make sense to let us exclude some arch in this case
> (i686). I mean normally you would want it to do all arches or it could
> be completely broken on some, but in this case since we only keep i686
> around as a multiarch thing, it shouldn't matter.

Yes, please! If we got this working, it'd also be useful in other cases.
And the good thing is that it would be self-contained within koji:
koji picks some builder, and we just tweak the rules of how that builder
is picked. This wouldn't "leak" into other layers.

The alternative of modifying hundreds of packages is much worse.

> I guess the only downside I see is that it might be confusing if there's
> someone who manually installs some noarch package on a i686 install and
> it breaks.

As already written in the other replies, this is already possible to some
extent and is not much of a problem.

Zbyszek