Re: F39 proposal: mkosi-initrd (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 12:17:22AM +0200, Dan Čermák wrote:
> Would it be possible to build bootable images using mkosi-initrd in
> koji? Then these could be booted in openQA directly and catch simple
> regressions like unbootable images quite easily.

If I understand correctly, you are suggesting building the initrd image as a
stand-alone job similarly to how we produce installation images and other
deliverables.

In theory … maybe? But haven't really thought about it in this way, but:
- for delivery to users we actually want the result to be packaged as rpm,
  so if we built a standalone image as a task in koji, then we'd need another
  job to build an rpm out of this. This seems quite complicated.
- to actually test the initrd, it'd not enough to "boot it" on its own. To
  say that it works, we need to test switch-root to the host system.

So it seems more natural to me to build an rpm, and then do the testing
starting from this rpm. Users would consume the initrd as an rpm, so we want
to test it the same way. E.g. in openqa, install a system with the initrd rpm,
and check if it boots.

Zbyszek