Re: F39 proposal: BiggerESP (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Mon, 24 Apr 2023 at 18:28, Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This refers to the minimum size being changed, but later it mentions
> the default size being changed. Are the default & minimum sizes
> effectively the same in this case ?

I believe so.

> nitpick - the github change linked is 512 MiB rather than 500 MB.

I don't actually know whether Microsoft told the OEMs MiB or MB. Will find out.

> My only thought is whether 512 MiB is sufficiently future proofed if we
> start to make more use of UKIs, given that /boot by comparison is already
> at 1 GiB by default IIUC ?

It's a tradeoff; on some devices 1GB is going to be a significant
chunk of the eMMC space used. I'll certainly bump up the maximum size
tho -- I'll continue that discussion on the anaconda PR.

> For any install which does end up using UKIs on the ESP, the /boot would
> no longer need to be as large as it is today as it would not have kernel
> images. In fact /boot could potentially not need to exist at all in any
> EFI installs using UKIs.

Right, I don't disagree. I just think the switch to ESPs and
potentially nuking /boot is a different ChangeProposal :) As part of
that we could delete /boot and enlarge /boot/efi but that's not the
problem we're solving here. Let's do the little uncontroversial change
first so firmware updates keep working, then we can work on the bigger
changes that might be more controversial.

Richard.