Re: It’s time to transform the Fedora devel list into something new

On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 07:21:54PM -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
...snip...

> Unless this discourse has some great mail bridge (it doesn't) or maybe
> an rss feed (I do not use those at work, but I guess I could ?) So that
> I can skim messages on my terms, I think I (and those like me) will be
> the next "missing people".

So I've been using the email bridge for a while (I think since we set it
up) and it's got it's issues for sure, but I am not sure if it's as bad
as folks fear.

https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/guide-to-interacting-with-this-site-by-email/25960
has general info.

I had just been dumping it into one mailbox, but today I poked at
getting it sorted better. For those of you ancient dinosaurs like myself
still using procmail (written in 1990!), the following hacky recipe
works for me:

:0
{
                 NAME=`echo "${MATCH}" | sed 's/\.discussion\.fedoraproject\.org>$//'`

                 :0
                 $HOME/Maildir/.fedora.discussion.$NAME/
}

This gets posts flowing into folders by list-id, so:

.fedora.discussion.Ask-Fedora_Ask-in-English/
.fedora.discussion.Project-Discussion/

And of course you can filter more with the actual tags from there if you
like. Posts should work fine as they have a reply-to hash with the
topic/post and who the email was sent to.

I have been pondering if we could perhaps setup a public-inbox read-only
mirror of the posts to discussion. (
https://public-inbox.org/README.html ). It would take a bit of work, as
I think we would need to make a non priv user, subscribe to everything,
then mangle the emails as they come to not have the reply-to or anything
else thats specific to the user. However, that could be a solution to
longer term archiving of things, another way for casual people to read
things and also allow a nntp frontend for the crazy nntp folks. ;)
public-inbox is plain text only, so no images/html there.
If there's enough interest in this I would be happy to work with folks
who want to set this up.

For rss feeds, you can in general add '.rss' to any url on the forum.

ie, https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/tag/guide.rss will give you a
rss feed of all the things tagged '#guide'.

Also, there's a 'latest posts' feed at:
https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/posts.rss
This should be all posts as they come

and a latest topics at:
https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/latest.rss
which is just the topics as they come (ie, the new/initial post in each
thread).

I've also been using the rss feeds for a long while and they seem fine
and reliable.

As a side note, I use RSS for tons of things. My setup is to run
miniflux ( https://miniflux.app/ ) on my main server at home, then I
use newsflash on my laptop or an android miniflut on android to read
feeds. YMMV.

kevin