Re: RFC: No koji builds during mass branching and updates-testing enablement

On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 09:03:11PM +0200, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 9, 2023 at 8:56 PM Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > * Cancel all builds that are in progress. Maintainers can resubmit after
> > the outage with the appropriate branches.
> > * unpush all updates stuck in gating/pending? Is this too much?
> > * do the branching steps, get everything in place, then open things on
> > the hub.
> >
> > This is a lot more disruptive, but it's only for part of a day and I
> > agree it's nicer to not have things to clean up.
>
> Sorry for the long RTT. My email inbox is only now no longer looking
> like a dumpster fire. :)
>
> It sounds like koji actually supports giving an outage message, so
> that would be great.
> Concerning the three steps listed above: I think they would make sense.
> Maybe it could look like this:
>
> 1. lock down the koji hub
> 2. cancel all builds that are still running (I think this could
> exclude builds that are targeting stable branches?)
> 3. unpush all Rawhide updates that are stuck (maybe adding a comment
> to the bodhi update why it happened)
> 4. do the mass branching steps (i.e. Rawhide == Fedora N+2, Branched
> == Fedora N+1)
> 5. unlock koji hub
>
> Parts of steps 2,3,4 could even happen with more granularity (I think
> mass branching steps happen alphabetically for all packages? that
> would give running builds more time to finish.).

This seems doable. We should make sure it is as best we can, and then
probibly announce it before the next mass branching so everyone knows to
expect it. :)

Hopefully this will prevent problems the next time...

Adding Tomas here on cc

kevin