Re: It’s time to transform the Fedora devel list into something new

On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 04:38:28PM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> There are a lot of questions left unanswered by this quick analysis,
> but there's a clear trend in fewer participants over time. In fact,
> last month had the second smallest participant count (tied with
> October 2022). Of course, these charts don't show _why_, but they do
> support the assertion that folks are dropping out of the conversation
> faster than others are joining.

One obvious question: How does "sending mail to -devel" correlate with
any other "contributing to Fedora" metric?  Eg numbers of folks with
Fedora accounts, number of packagers (or active packagers), git
commiters/commits, and so forth?  Or even numbers of installations,
which to this way we can only kinda hand-wave about?

(I wonder how that also correlates to the likes of Debian?)

We also might be a victim of our own success here; things generally
_work_ quite well, so there's not as much to go on about as there once
was, and our various upstreams are increasingly driving our headliner
features rather than the other way around.

So people simply don't _need_ to participate in "developing Fedora" like
they once did to ensure their interests were represented, and instead
get to focus more fully on the stuff they build on top.  That's a good
thing, I think, but it also takes away what was probably the primary
participation funnel.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)