Re: It’s time to transform the Fedora devel list into something new

> Am 21.04.2023 um 15:37 schrieb Emmanuel Seyman <emmanuel@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
> * Fulko Hew [20/04/2023 21:18] :
>>
>> Can you say the same for Discourse?
>
> ... leave a lot to be desired. So much so that

You put it very nicely. I have been desperately trying to follow new posts under the tag #server via email notification. Total failure. I missed everything.

A nice collection of "bells and whistles" just doesn't cut it yet. Currently, it is far too unreliable for systematic and long-term professional activities.

And it is structured in an undercomplex way. Try to find something further back in time. You must have a lot of boredom. A simple grouping by year/month like the mailing lists is very comfortable in comparison.

And I think that's not what discourse was originally designed for. We are now trying to squeeze in something that works "somehow". An 'egg-laying, milk-gearing  woolly pig' like with the infamous SAP software in some companies. And the problems that Matthew accurately describes (lengthy discussion, abusive discussion style, etc) cannot be solved by this, in my opinion.

I am very much in favor of modernizing our communication tools. But I don't think this is the way to go (but I don't know anything better, except maybe a more "traditional", more structured forum).