Re: It’s time to transform the Fedora devel list into something new

On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 4:21 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It’s time to transform the Fedora devel list into something new
>
> My first post on this list was over 19 years ago. (It was about
> Bugzilla. I was a fan!) Ever since those early days, devel list has
> been the heart and center of Fedora activity. Now, I hope to convince
> all of us here that it’s time for something different.
>
> As it is, devel list is too much for many people to follow — people
> we’d like to have around. It covers many different things at once, yet
> also drives us towards more scattered communications. Our infamous
> mega-threads are not really effective for getting to community
> consensus, and tend to bring out the worst in us.
>
> I propose that we transition devel list, and eventually most of our
> mailing lists, to Fedora Discussion (our Discourse-powered forum).
>
> I know this is a big change, but, hear me out…

I love this idea.

> We’re missing people
> > discourse?
> >
> > Once I ensure my team has the technical guidance they need
> > and I work through the tasks of work that I owe other
> > people, I take a look at the mailing list and say: "Oh my
> > gosh, what the heck happened here?" Then the discussion
> > goes further off the rails while I'm typing out a reply and
> > my reply is no longer relevant.
> >
> > — https://tootchute.com/@major/109666036733834421
>
> I know many Fedora folks, old-school and new, for whom devel list is
> just too much. Some of it is the sheer volume, but this “off the rails”
> tendency is real — threads drift, get into back-and-forth debates about
> particular details, etc. And… some people aren’t here because — in
> contrast with our “Friends” foundation, it isn’t always a nice place to
> be (and mailing lists don’t provide many tools for moderation, except
> the big hammer of outright bans).
>
> Ben Cotton recently did some basic analysis on devel list traffic over
> time, and there’s a clear trend: fewer people are participating, even
> though the number of different threads goes up. I don’t think this is
> because of any decline in Fedora contributors overall — I think it’s
> that conversations are happening elsewhere.

All of these points ring true for me.  I often find myself just
avoiding the devel list entirely.

> [...]
> (https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/RNJZUX3ZI34DIX6E4PVDKYQWCOFDQ4UY/#RNJZUX3ZI34DIX6E4PVDKYQWCOFDQ4UY)
> is a good example of things going badly.
>
> Most of the conversation was under the subject “Schedule for Tuesday's
> FESCo Meeting (2023-01-03)”, because everything started as a reply to
> that. That’s pretty easy to overlook. It’s possible for replies to
> change  the subject when replying, but that can’t be done
> retroactively, and then isn’t consistent (and it breaks threading in
> Gmail, too).
>
> Then, things got rather hostile, making it hard to have a reasonable
> conversation about the issues (both technical and procedural). And
> then, things went in circles without adding anything new.
>
> This could have all gone a lot better.
>
> And that’s just one example. Take a look back at any mega-thread, and
> you’ll find similar — and worse. When things get heated, the only way
> to intervene is by adding more.  There are often long subthreads of two
> people going back and forth on tangents. Then, other conversation
> branches duplicate that, or refer across. Classical email tools don’t
> actually handle this kind of thing very well at all. In my experience,
> it only really works if you keep up with the conversation in almost
> real time, which has its own problems even when that’s possible.
>

> We’re scattered in actual practice
>
> For lists that are active, the split is confusing — when should
> something be on the packaging list rather than devel? What happens when
> something is related to both Cloud and Server, or Workstation and KDE?
> One can post to both lists, but if someone replies and isn’t subscribed
> to both, the conversation gets split.
>
> With “devel” as the main list, conversations about marketing, design,
> events, and so on don’t really have a central place. (The Mindshare
> list never really caught on.) That makes these important activities
> feel even more disconnected and secondary in status — and they
> shouldn’t be.
>
> Many groups have actually moved away from lists to using tickets for
> team conversations — both those non-engineering functions
> and development. Design Team has a mailing list, but mostly for
> announcements: the work happens in tickets. Workstation largely uses
> their Pagure tracker. And CoreOS conversations happen almost entirely
> in tickets on Github.
>
> Tickets are made for tracking specific, actionable tasks, and that kind
> of tracking is part of why teams use them over mailing lists — but
> Fedora teams use them for open development conversations too. I think
> that’s largely a symptom of mailing lists not being enough for what we
> need. The trackers have media support, editing for typos or updates,
> reactions for simple agreement, tagging people, and granular
> subscriptions. They are effectively “off-label use” mini-forums that
> teams can quietly move to using without the sort of conversation I

This is true for EPEL conversations.  They tend to happen in
IRC/Matrix and Pagure tickets.  They also happen on the epel-devel
list, but I feel a sense of dread when someone suggests moving a
conversation from one of the other places to the list, for all the
reasons Matthew mentioned.

> [...]
> forming a Special Interest Group. Often that does result in a new SIG
> launching — sometimes with a brand-new mailing list which then ends up
> getting only a few posts ( and a whole lot of spam years later). But
> this really suffers from the survivorship problem: many people who
> might be interested will never notice.
>
> We have release process announcements — mostly to devel-announce, but
> then occasionally replies and discussion here. Blocker bugs and other
> test-list and QA topics are cross-posted, as part of the release cycle.
>
> And then there are a lot of robo-messages: reports, reminders, etc.
> These are really valuable to a few people, but add a lot more to wade
> through for everyone else trying to keep up.
>
> There are certainly others, as well.
>
> In short… there probably shouldn’t just be one thing. But, the
> cross-posting problem makes it hard to split up as a mailing list.
>

> Enter Discourse
> ---------------
>
> If you’ve talked with me about anything related to any of this in the
> past ten years, you probably already know that I like Discourse. It’s
> good software made by cool people. And, it’s entirely open source, with
> a SaaS business model but with real, usable releases. (No open core, no
> “open source theoretically but good luck”.) And, we have it in
> production in Fedora already, at https://discussion.fedoraproject.org,
> with categories for announcements, user help, project discussion, and
> social conversation — as well as special categories for dedicated
> workflows.
>
> In Project Discussion, each different Fedora team can have its own tag,
> and you can subscribe to those that you’re interested in. Cross-posting
> is easy: tag a post with multiple teams.
>
> Topics can be renamed, if needed, or split out into side-conversations.
> The long tangents from these conversations can actually be interesting
> on their own without distracting from the main topic. Moderation tools
> allow us to handle posts that are outside of expected Fedora
> contributor behavior, with varying levels of action as appropriate.
>
> You can use markdown formatting, including images (with easy addition
> of alt text for people for whom images are a barrier). You can edit
> your posts to fix typos or correct mistakes. There are polls and lots
> of other useful features.
>
> And, you can interact with it all by email. That interface isn’t
> perfect, but it’s way better than any other forum software I’ve seen.
> (I’ve written a guide: https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/25960)
> At the same time, your individual email address is hidden, so it won’t
> be a spam magnet (or a target for off-list harassment, a problem we
> unfortunately have with devel list).
>
> That said, it is web-first software. (Or mobile, if that’s your thing.)
> That requires some adjustment, I know. I hope opening up a Fedora
> Discussion tab – or keeping one open — becomes an easy habit.

I went with Discourse over a mailing list when I posted my EPEL 10
proposal back in November.  In addition to the aforementioned
drawbacks of email, I was specifically interested in being able to use
markdown tables and being able to add info to the original post over
time.  I have enjoyed interacting with that Discourse thread quite a
bit, and have no regrets about focusing the conversation there instead
of the mailing list.

https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/epel-10-proposal/44304

> [...]
>
> Third, I’ll add a tag for general Fedora OS development conversation.
> Maybe “#devel”, but if someone has more narrow suggestions, I’ll take
> them.
>
> Fourth, I’d like to update our documentation, process, and expectations
> for newcomers — say hello on Discussion (and Fedora Chat, if you like)
> rather than a mailing list. (I’d like to close the Fedora Join list at
> this point.)
>
> Fifth, all packaging-related discussions (including the separate
> packaging mailing list). We already have a #package-maintainers tag
> with some existing discussion.
>
> Sixth, automated posts, as much as we can. These should go to dedicated
> Workflow categories, where people who want can watch them but where
> they won’t overwhelm human interactions. People who want can watch
> them, and it’s easy to quote-reply into a new linked topic in the
> Project Discussions category.
>
> And finally… shut down the devel list itself. Perhaps at the end of
> 2023?
>
> We should also shut down all of the little lists that haven’t had
> anything but spam in the last two years. We could maybe do that sooner.
> We should stop creating new lists now — we can create new Discussion
> tags instead.
>
> I expect the announcement lists to stay for the foreseeable future
> (although we might feed them from Discourse rather than the other way
> around). Other lists which are patches, commit messages, and other
> automations might stick around for a while — but really might be better
> served by a log aggregation and analysis system or something else.
>
> Other teams who want to keep mailing lists can, but I’d like to move
> those too, and eventually I think we’ll want to shut them down too — or
> perhaps convert them to announcement lists.
>

> Next steps
> ----------
>
> I know this is a big change. I’ve been thinking of writing this message
> for a long time. I’d really like to convince everyone that it’s the
> right thing — or at least, an acceptable one.
>

> What about specific decisions related to my proposal? For each:
>
> Because altering the Changes process is a FESCo decision, I’ll file a
> ticket about that shortly.
>
> FESCo moving their own other conversations is, of course, also a FESCo
> decision.
>
> Assuming the first moves forward, I will create the general #devel tag
> (or other name we come up with) when I create the #change-proposal tag.
>
> Moving the packaging list is a Packaging Committee decision.
>
> Automated posts can be moved at any time. I can work with the people
> who own the generation of those reports to figure out a good answer for
> each.
>
> The outcome for other team lists is up to each team.
>
> And, I think shutting down devel overall is ultimately a Fedora Council
> decision.
>
> For right now, though: let’s discuss — on the list!

Carl George