Re: F39 proposal: RPM 4.19 (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Tue, Apr 04, 2023 at 09:05:43AM -0400, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Apr 2023 at 08:52, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 04, 2023 at 11:17:50AM +0200, Jakub Jelinek wrote:

> > x86-64-v1.
> > -Ofast.
> > flag,
> > cases. (*)
> > >
> > > Given that GCC 12 and later autovectorizes at -O2, it might be more than
> > > 10%.

> > also

> > https://lists.opensuse.org/archives/list/factory@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/ZOHLT4CQ7TDOJJ2VV7HKMN5G2MR2CTMD

> > > Why a subrpm?  Should be possible to just arrange for one src.rpm to
> > > build the library twice and install the x86-64-v3 into
> > > /usr/lib64/glibc-hwcaps/x86-64-v3/
> > > Perhaps come with some macro to simplify that for packagers.
> >
> > If we start compiling libaries twice, it'd double the package sizes
> > (or actually more than double, since in the benchmarks the code size
> > with -v3 is also increased slightly). I assume people would want to
> > get the optimized form split out to a subpackage so people who don't
> > use this, don't pay the price. If we use the new "dynamic subpackages"
> > feature of RPM, and some smart macros, this could even not be a big
> > packaging burden.
> >

> My guess is that the burden would be shifted to the builders and the
> background storage. Won't package builds need to be done 'twice' for
> various parts to get two different sets of libraries? Memory and CPU usage
> of the builders will be impacted and so would storage size.
>
> Those aren't 'free' as
> a) X build taking N% longer means Y has to wait that much longer for their
> build to complete.
> b) koji storage of builds is finite and Fedora is hitting the limits
> regularly. This means build storage times will have to be shortened again
> so that builds can complete. Cleaning it out and moving things around take
> a significant amount of compute time on koji further slowing down things.
> c) there are a limited number of physical machines in Fedora and no room to
> add more.
> d) The resources needed for each build grows and so the virtual builders
> need to be segmented into fewer systems.
> e) Mirrors are impacted by the larger packages as it takes longer for them
> to sync out changes in Fedora.
>
> This doesn't mean this is a bad or impossible issue to deal with, but it
> needs to be clear what the costs are so when changes are needed to deal
> with those and other impacts, it doesn't come as a surprise to the packager
> community.

Yes, exactly. The cost is clear, the benefit less so.
My thinking was to figure out the packages where there's actually a
measureable tangible benefit, and only do this there.

For example, vorbis, flac, zstd benefit 5–20% in [1].

[1] https://sunnyflunk.github.io/2023/01/15/x86-64-v3-Mixed-Bag-of-Performance.html