Re: redhat-lsb-core

On Mon, Apr 3, 2023 at 4:15 PM Steven A. Falco <stevenfalco@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm confused by the Requires for redhat-lsb-core.

According to "dnf repoquery --requires redhat-lsb-core" there is no requirement for esmtp.  But according to "dnf repoquery --whatrequires esmtp", redhat-lsb-core does require esmtp.

Perhaps there is some sort of transitive requirement that the above commands don't show, but the curious thing is that I have redhat-lsb-core installed on my F37 machine, and that didn't pull in esmtp.

Why do I care?  Well, KiCad now Recommends redhat-lsb-core to help with upstream bug reports (wx uses redhat-lsb-core to report OS info).

Since I added "Recommends: redhat-lsb-core" to KiCad, some users are now apparently also getting esmtp, which they really don't need/want.

I don't understand that.  Why are some users getting esmtp when they install KiCad, yet I didn't get esmtp when I installed KiCad?

A bigger question would be how to restructure OS information gathering, since redhat-lsb-core does pull in a lot of stuff, but that is a question for another day...

esmtp provides /usr/sbin/sendmail which is needed by redhat-lsb-core.

However, it's only one of multiple packages that can provide it. If
you already have one of exim, msmtp, opensmtpd, postfix or sendmail
installed, then it won't pull esmtp in.

That explains it - I have sendmail on my machine.  Thanks!

	Steve