Re: DNF Sytem Upgrade requirements for an F37 → F38 upgrade

On Wed, Mar 29, 2023, at 6:08 PM, Fabio Valentini wrote:

> I don't really want to throw money out the window just because DNF
> eats up all the memory it can :(

Everyone needs to internalize:  This has nothing to do with DNF, really.

It's about the *size of the repository metadata*.

Every single time someone adds a new package into the single "Fedora" rpm-md repo, that makes clients going OOM a bit more likely.  Every single time there's a new package, it makes it more likely that a client will hit a timeout downloading the repodata and fail to get that critical kernel security update.

Even doing the obvious thing and splitting off e.g. a `fedora-devel` rpm-md repo (as is done kind of done in RHEL with CRB) that had all the -devel and Go/Rust etc. packages would likely create a huge amount of savings.

Also as I said in an earlier thread, relating to SBCs but also small cloud instances  - we also have image-based editions; these are Fedora systems too.  rpm-ostree will not download the rpm-md by default, so is immune to this.  And particularly after https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/OstreeNativeContainerStable - the UX for managing these is the same as podman/docker style application containers.  You don't pay the cost of downloading the rpm-md on each client.