Re: F39 proposal: SPDX License Phase 2 (System-Wide Change proposal)

Dne 29. 03. 23 v 17:09 Daniel P. Berrangé napsal(a):
** As mentioned above and at
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/legal/update-existing-packages/,
automatic conversion is not possible for a lot of packages and will
need direct review.  For example, legacy license identifiers that
cannot be automatically converted: BSD, MIT, with exceptions.
This paragraph is ambiguously worded.

   Does this imply that packages for which automatic conversion
   is impossible are out of scope for conversion during phase 2 ?

or

   Does this imply that there is a group of people who are
   actively going to do manual review and conversion  as prt
   of phase 2 ?

or something else again ?

This is intentionally ambiguous. We will start with the easy one - where automation is possible - and I hope we will have enough energy to do manual review on set of important packages. And right now I do not have clue how many and how I can describe important packages :)

* Regular office hours will be held to help answer questions for
package maintainers.

As of 2023-03-13 the automatic conversion can be done for
approximately 8096 packages.

Around Fedora 39 Beta owners will file a BZ for any package that does
not update the license tag. As of 2023-03-13 that would be 12206
packages. But owners expect a much lower number by that time.
Does that 12206 count exclude or include the  8096 for which
automatic conversion is possible ? I'm presuming it should
exclude it, since we shouldn't need to be filing bugs for
packages which are automatically converted.

Exclude. The latest data can be seen at

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QVMEzXWML-6_Mrlln02axFAaRKCQ8zE807rpCjus-8s/edit#gid=0

Currently:

11872 of non-trivial + 7912 of trivial [1] = 19784 strings to convert

[1] I am pretty confident that we will be able to convert these 7912 strings.

Miroslav