Re: F39 proposal: SPDX License Phase 2 (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 03:16:29PM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> [...]
> and filing issues in the
> [https://gitlab.com/fedora/legal/fedora-license-data
> fedora-license-data repo]. Miroslav has been tracking how many
> packages that have been updated. Given the large number of packages in
> Fedora, this progress is good, but slow.
>
> We are considering options for how to more quickly migrate, in terms
> of how much automation can be applied as opposed to taking this as an
> opportunity as a more thorough license review. Automated updating of
> Fedora legacy abbreviations to SPDX expressions is only possible to a
> limited extent due to different criteria used in each system, most
> notably the use of
> [https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/legal/update-existing-packages/#_updating_existing_packages_callaway_short_name_categories
> "category" short names in the Fedora legacy system]. Also, the
> [https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/legal/license-field/ policy for
> populating the License: field] has been clarified with a view to
> eliminating inconsistent guidance in past documentation, which may
> mean that a determination made in the past would be different today.
> Nonetheless, automated updates for a curated set of Fedora legacy
> abbreviations can help speed up the migration and serve as a reminder
> and helping hand to package maintainers who may have not started this
> process. If the automatic migration is not possible (e.g., needs
> clarification from legal), then a Bugzilla issue has to be created.
>
> Plan:
> * Hold a hackfest focusing on a limited set of Fedora packages.
> Feedback from the hackfest can then be used to improve documentation
> related to updating existing packages.
> * Review of licenses for which there seems to be a one-to-one mapping
> from Fedora legacy abbreviations to SPDX identifiers to ensure
> reliable mapping. license-fedora2spdx will then be updated to use that
> curated set of mappings.
> * Packages using legacy license expressions will be automatically
> converted if the package maintainer has not already taken care of it.
> Packages with compound legacy license expressions will only be
> converted if all included identifiers can map to fedora-license-data.
> That is, there is no mixing of SPDX and legacy Fedora identifiers.
> ** The conversion will be done in waves to minimize errors in
> automation (e.g., 100 packages in the first week, 200 packages in
> another week, ...).  A pull request for the package spec file will be
> created as part of the conversion. If the maintainer does not respond
> to the pull-request within 14 days, the pull request will be merged by
> Change owners.
> ** As mentioned above and at
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/legal/update-existing-packages/,
> automatic conversion is not possible for a lot of packages and will
> need direct review.  For example, legacy license identifiers that
> cannot be automatically converted: BSD, MIT, with exceptions.

This paragraph is ambiguously worded.

   Does this imply that packages for which automatic conversion
   is impossible are out of scope for conversion during phase 2 ?

or

   Does this imply that there is a group of people who are
   actively going to do manual review and conversion  as prt
   of phase 2 ?

or something else again ?

> * Regular office hours will be held to help answer questions for
> package maintainers.
>
> As of 2023-03-13 the automatic conversion can be done for
> approximately 8096 packages.
>
> Around Fedora 39 Beta owners will file a BZ for any package that does
> not update the license tag. As of 2023-03-13 that would be 12206
> packages. But owners expect a much lower number by that time.

Does that 12206 count exclude or include the  8096 for which
automatic conversion is possible ? I'm presuming it should
exclude it, since we shouldn't need to be filing bugs for
packages which are automatically converted.

With regards,
Daniel