Re: Package Tutorial bug - missing BuildRequires gcc

Kenneth Goldman kirjoitti 8.3.2023 klo 0.58:
-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Tibbitts <j@xxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 1, 2023 6:51 PM
To: Kenneth Goldman <kgoldman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Development discussions related to Fedora <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Package Tutorial bug - missing BuildRequires gcc

Kenneth Goldman <kgoldman@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

but … if the tutorial has a sample .spec file, I think it would help
the new user if it was 100% complete.

I believe that the section "A Complete hello.spec File" at
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-
3A__docs.fedoraproject.org_en-2DUS_package-2Dmaintainers_Packaging-
5FTutorial-5FGNU-5FHello_-23-5Fa-5Fcomplete-5Fhello-5Fspec-
5Ffile&d=DwIFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
siA1ZOg&r=DZCVG43VcL8GTneMZb8k8lEwb-O1GZktFfre1-
mlmiA&m=eBYtndmk1vCkvHX6y2J15Jeb4NPWWyIr8LJxlHhQRhTpEaQ_m0uKlbT
oGi5opX06&s=AcpJmiCpdwml9x3JU0z6dyLZo19mnWH66P6qtnJMlAs&e=
is, as indicated, complete.  It does contain the necessary build dependency on
gcc, as well as the others.  If I'm missing something, please feel free to enlighten
me.

I see.  This 'hello world' is structured to intentionally have errors.  This teaches
the reader how to debug.

I have no issue this approach except that it's unusual.  I suggest some text
at the top of the web page explaining this.

This will help the new student, who might be trained to 'stop reading
on the first error'.

Correct interpretation.
There are two things that the tutorial teaches, actually:
First, what tools need to invoked, which which parameters, in which order, to do a package modification in Fedora.
And second, how to write spec files to express your intent.
Perhaps it would be a good idea to split the tutorial into two parts.

The first part would be a new tutorial that gives a working, reasonably minimal specfile at the start,
and just teaches what commands need to be invoked.

The second part would just the existing tutorial.
It could be used almost as-is as the specfile writing tutorial.
Probably a lot of prose could be removed and moved to the first part.

As a quick improvement, I will add some explanatory text to the top,
so that the reader starts out with the correct expectation.