Re: "hard core" linux

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

If the "infrastructural" stuff is overarching dependencies we can split them into sub packages. Lets be specific. What kind of changes is being made. Got any ideas on improve those?

Oh, a lot of this is ancient history. For instance, an RH 9 system that had to be upgraded to a 2.6 kernel and needed to update a lot of userspace stuff, especially modutils. We had a production RHEL 3 server that we had to do the same thing -- I think that the distribution had a largely 2.6-ready userspace, but modutils is critical for having a system that can boot, and the last thing I need is getting it 'upgraded' to something that leaves the machine inoperable.

The system that I hacked out xmms on is an FC3 system, I haven't done this on my FC4 installs. My two big beefs are apps that are dependent on media players (more than you might think) and apps that depend on a web browser (shades of "IE is integrated into the operating system") -- in both of these cases I might just want to give up on what comes with the OS and handle them myself in /usr/local.