Re: "hard core" linux

Russell Coker wrote:

Due to dependencies I don't think it will be possible to spin a distribution without any of the programs which MAY have MP3 support. You can't produce a distribution with MP3 support and call it Fedora for legal reasons.

I don't see why I can't pull out any packages I want, so long as I pull out all the dependencies -- this might involve yanking a lot of desktop stuff, but so what.

The only trouble I see is that some people might do a "yum install" of media-player dependent things which would then install the official media players, which may conflict with locally installed media players.

Probably the best thing to do for someone who wants MP3 support would be to create a derivative distribution "based on Fedora Core" that has the MP3 support compiled in.
I don't have a lot of trouble installing the native mplayer rpm's and putting other stuff I want in /usr/local. For instance, rpm --erase xmms and install xmms from source. The trouble I run into is that there are other things that depend on xmms (that I don't really use) and if I rpm --erase --nodeps xmms, I end up having problems when I do yum updates later.

If I could do a clean install that didn't include anything that references media players, I can do what I want in the media player space, use yum to maintain software that came with the OS, and nobody gets hurt.

A media player-free distribution would also be a good base for someone who wants to make an alternative distribution which has different media players, since dependencies would be cleared.