Re: qemu on i686

On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 06:28:56PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> I've spent the day fixing various issues in qemu on Rawhide, but
> there's one remaining issue.  The tests stubbornly fail on i686.  It
> seems as if there is some issue with TLS (is gnutls borked on i686?)
>
>   https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=98075482
>   [Ignore the transient aarch64 failure ...]
>
> Why are we building qemu on i686?
>
> Although leaf packages can decide to drop i686 unilaterally, and I am
> sorely tempted, this is a critical package so I'd like to know if you
> have a valid use case for qemu, qemu-img etc on i686.
>
>   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/EncourageI686LeafRemoval
>
> If we remove qemu it will likely have ripple effects through the rest
> of the virt stack, which we'll deal with (by excluding i686 on those too).

Furthermore if we drop i686 builds, then I'd suggest we also drop armv7
builds too. Neither arch provides installable media for Fedora anymore,
and QEMU doesn't ship any libraries which would be multilib relevant.
Even if there is a 32-bit library that is exec'ing qemu-img, that should
be OK with a 64-bit qemu-img binary.

Upstream QEMU is actively discussing dropping 32-bit host support too.

With regards,
Daniel