Re: Feedback wanted for a proposed improvement to RPM's ELF dependency generator

On 2023-02-19 12:30, Stephen Smoogen wrote:

    > - You mention "over the course of two releases" but don't
    mention what
    >    is done in each one?

    I don't know the specifics of how package builds are ordered in a
    mass
    rebuild, so I tend to think the safest rollout is a slow one:
    enable the

I think they are usually done 'alphabetically' with various subgroups done in 'order by the maintainer' beforehand (or afterwards if the mass rebuild broke it) as additional side-tags.

If there's no dependency ordering in the mass rebuild, then I think the shortest possible timeline for enabling both macros would be to enable _elf_provide_fallback_versions globally, wait for the next mass rebuild, and then globally enable the _elf_require_fallback_versions macro.  At that point, dependencies should have been made consistent by the mass rebuild, and improved dependency information should be generated as it's needed (as packages are built after the mass rebuild).

However, FTBFS very probably means that a short timeline like that would be difficult, as once _elf_require_fallback_versions was enabled globally any packages that depend on something that didn't rebuild would need to be opted out of the system temporarily by disabling _elf_require_fallback_versions in their spec file.  So, it might be preferable to roll out that half of the system later.