Re: Tenacity

On Wed, 8 Feb 2023 08:44:30 -0700
stan <upaitag@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Feb 2023 06:25:07 +1100
> Philip Rhoades via devel <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Has there been any discussion about getting a Tenacity RPM going
> > for Fedora? - I would prefer that to having to use the AppImage
> > version .
>
> I knew about the corporate takeover of audacity, but I didn't know
> about this fork.  I'm not aware of any effort to package it, but you
> could build it from source, and install it in /usr/local, probably the
> default.
>
> If you have development tools installed, that could be as easy as
> ./configure  (not as root)
> make  (not as root)
> make install  (as root)
> in the directory where you unpack the source code.  I used to build
> audacity that way from its git repository.  Occasionally there would
> be a glitch with versions, but it worked pretty consistently.  You
> will have to have /usr/local/bin in your path (I think that is also a
> default in Fedora).
>
> https://tenacityaudio.org/
>
> Of course, an rpm would be more convenient, but this *is* an
> alternative.

PS
I see on the devel list that there are potential patent issues because
of the use of certain codecs.  I finessed that by using the ffmpeg
version from rpmfusion, and thus installing the free and nonfree codecs
they are referencing.  If you try the above build without them, it will
probably still build, but will have reduced functionality.  Now that
mp3 and mpeg are off patent, I think the use of other codecs would be
limited unless you are editing commercial DVD files using aac, or video
files using h264.  Videos using webm probably are using open source
video and audio encoders.