Re: Fedora 38 mass rebuild is finished

<somewhat_offtopic>

On Tue, Jan 24, 2023 at 7:29 AM Jeff Law <jeffreyalaw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 1/24/23 00:16, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> > See
> > https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-13/porting_to.html#header-dep-changes
> > Some libstdc++ headers included <cstdint> in older versions
> > as an implementation detail but no longer do.
> >
> > Including stdint.h will introduce ::uint32_t type among others,
> > but not std::uint32_t, if you use the latter, you need to
> > include <cstdint>.
> I've got a partial list of packages affected by the ongoing header
> cleanups in libstdc++:

I am in favor of header cleanups, and moving forward
with new(er) gcc versions, but I wonder that if in the
future the Fedora gcc change proposal can reference
the porting changes rather than referring only to the
main gcc docs as an additional heads up (in this case,
I skimmed the gcc 13 changes page, but you had to
follow yet another link for porting issues to see the
library header changes (and I did not go looking
there, my bad)).

While it may take me only a minute to recognize
the issue when I see the compile failure for a
missing header ("and there they go again..."),
writing PRs for upstreams and getting those fixes
into their release cycle may take somewhat longer
(and I prefer not to carry local patches in packages
when possible).

Had I seen cstdint I like to think that I would have
tried a rebuild with gcc 13 earlier to see what
(if any) upstream(s) needed some encouragement
for support gcc 13.

Thanks for the consideration.

</somewhat_offtopic>