Re: Do we have alternatives to alternatives?

On Mon, Jan 16, 2023 at 7:34 PM Petr Menšík <pemensik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I heard (read) objections to any alternatives macros usage often. But
> unless I am mistaken, we do not have any user (enough) friendly way to
> support similar functionality tools with just minor differences.
>
> I thought about it recently and I think we have similar issue solved by
> systemd-sysusers macros. Unless I am mistaken, they work fine even on
> rpm-ostree distributions. They have some similarities with alternatives
> %post scriptlets:
>
> those scriptlets more define values for some other tools than they need
> immediate reaction. Original %pre scriptlets adding users had to be
> executed during install and never outside. systemd-sysusers solves it
> fine by calling a common tool and data configuration file. It makes it
> possible to configure all users at a time or just the user from given
> config.
>
> I think similar approach could work with alternatives. Instead of
> defining the alternative name by alternatives --install command, we
> could move link name, path and priority to simple configuration snippet.
> Then process that definition either per-package (for classic rpm %post)
> or after-install (for rpm-ostree based distributions). The result should
> be the same, just time of execution may differ. It would require
> modification of alternatives to read instructions also from config file,
> not only from command line parameters.
>
> It might be naive, but wouldn't such modification allow to solve
> alternatives sufficiently also for ostree based installations? Is there
> a reason why this would not work? Of course it would add extra config
> file per package using alternatives. Unless I am mistaken, we do not
> have full featured replacement for current alternatives. Other than not
> having alternatives at all. I doubt dnf swap approach is more
> user-friendly, especially because it cannot be done by PackageKit GUI tools.
>
> Is there a reason, why my idea cannot work? Is there an unsolved problem
> it could not solve? Have something similar been considered already?
>
> Best Regards,
> Petr
>
> --
> Petr Menšík
> Software Engineer, RHEL
> Red Hat, https://www.redhat.com/
> PGP: DFCF908DB7C87E8E529925BC4931CA5B6C9FC5CB
In the great blueprint of image-based system[1], system should boot
with an empty /etc filesystem.

But I found Fedora still has two requirements on the /etc filesystem.

The first one is /etc/alternatives. So I also hope we can change to
another mechanism that
satisfies the need for image-based system.

The other is the need for /etc/ld.so.*.

[1] https://0pointer.net/blog/fitting-everything-together.html

-robin