Do we have alternatives to alternatives?

Hi!

I heard (read) objections to any alternatives macros usage often. But unless I am mistaken, we do not have any user (enough) friendly way to support similar functionality tools with just minor differences.

I thought about it recently and I think we have similar issue solved by systemd-sysusers macros. Unless I am mistaken, they work fine even on rpm-ostree distributions. They have some similarities with alternatives %post scriptlets:

those scriptlets more define values for some other tools than they need immediate reaction. Original %pre scriptlets adding users had to be executed during install and never outside. systemd-sysusers solves it fine by calling a common tool and data configuration file. It makes it possible to configure all users at a time or just the user from given config.

I think similar approach could work with alternatives. Instead of defining the alternative name by alternatives --install command, we could move link name, path and priority to simple configuration snippet. Then process that definition either per-package (for classic rpm %post) or after-install (for rpm-ostree based distributions). The result should be the same, just time of execution may differ. It would require modification of alternatives to read instructions also from config file, not only from command line parameters.

It might be naive, but wouldn't such modification allow to solve alternatives sufficiently also for ostree based installations? Is there a reason why this would not work? Of course it would add extra config file per package using alternatives. Unless I am mistaken, we do not have full featured replacement for current alternatives. Other than not having alternatives at all. I doubt dnf swap approach is more user-friendly, especially because it cannot be done by PackageKit GUI tools.

Is there a reason, why my idea cannot work? Is there an unsolved problem it could not solve? Have something similar been considered already?

Best Regards,
Petr

--
Petr Menšík