Re: FESCo revote on "Add -fno-omit-frame-pointer" Change proposal [was Re: Schedule for Tuesday's FESCo Meeting (2023-01-03)]

Am Montag, 9. Jänner 2023 21:02:48 CET schrieb Tom Stellard:
I think a good solution would be to move the proposal submission deadlines
a month earlier in the schedule.  There's only 3 weeks between the
"Changes Requiring Mass Rebuild" deadline and the mass rebuild. I don't think 3 weeks is really enough time for FESCO review/approval and
also getting the necessary patches reviewed and committed.

How would this have helped in this case? The original change proposal was actually submitted more than 6 months ago! It is just that it took 5 months to finally get to a vote (with whose outcome one FESCo member was then unhappy).

The resubmission, on the other hand, happened one day AFTER the submission deadline for changes requiring a mass rebuild and hence was already late under the current process. Pushing the submission deadline earlier would not have changed that.

If we need a rule, then it needs to be that rejected changes cannot be resubmitted for reconsideration after the change submission deadline. Though FESCo could just vote to accept the late change anyway, so it would not really help if the resubmission comes from FESCo itself and if FESCo really wants it to happen. At most it could discourage such late reconsiderations.

       Kevin Kofler