Re: RISC-V -- are we ready for more, and what do we need to do it?

On Sun, Jan 8, 2023 at 2:28 AM Jeff Law <jlaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 1/6/23 23:41, David Abdurachmanov wrote:
> >
> > Summary from multi-year discussions/feedback on this:
> > - We don't have proper hardware to put into the data center that holds
> > servers used by Fedora infrastructure.
> Right.  dev boards are not the solution here.  It's got to be something
> that can be racked and with enough performance to matter.
>
> > - Not enough single and multi thread performance to avoid large impact
> > to Fedora development.
> Agreed.   Returning to a situation like we had with armv7 isn't
> acceptable IMHO.
>

> > Other than that Fedora/RISCV 37 is the first Fedora version to be
> > built fully natively using 20+ SiFive HiFive Unmatched boards. On a
> > good day we can keep up (if the builds aren't too large, e.g. GCC). We
> > don't really run Bodhi thus once package is built it's immediately
> > available. We run a very minimal setup right now (ideas to expand
> > that).
> It's fantastic we've got that far.  But clearly it's not viable long term.

Agreed. We have been cooking Fedora/RISCV since 2016, but we really
cannot move forward until the proper hardware (and things around it)
becomes available.

> > Another news is that Fedora/RISCV Koji server (
> > http://fedora.riscv.rocks/koji/ ) just moved into Fedora infra owned
> > server. We are about to start work on Fedora 38/Rawhide.
> Excellent.  I'll have to update my chroots and containers as the F38
> bits start appearing.

I am still tweaking the server configuration, but I should be ready
for mass building soonish.
I might want to wait for GCC 13 to land in Rawhide, which should
happen soon (I think).

> > 2023 is potentially a transition year. Ventana Veyron V1 Development
> > Platform looks good (I assume it has BMC). SOPHGO SG2042 should also
> > show up with 64-core @ 2.0GHz (T-HEAD C910) in early 2023 (?) I am not
> > yet convinced about their upstream support efforts (TBD).
> Yes Veyron-v1 will have a BMC and will be rackable.   I have no
> significant insight into the T-HEAD efforts other than they do work a
> fair amount with VRULL on compiler and related technology.

I noticed that VRULL has been involved with T-HEAD on GCC and
potentially kernel side for a few months now. This makes them much
more optimistic about their SoC/HW support in general.

> > If there is away to acquire Veyron V1 Development Platform I would be
> > interested to talk, and figure out what that would take. Such hardware
> > would be a game charger, and I do trust Ventana regarding upstream
> > support :)
> I'll be pushing to make systems available to Fedora and the GCC farm,
> but in general Ventana is more aligned towards Ubuntu.  My goal is to
> have Fedora and Ubuntu on equal footing as quickly as possible.

We have been trying to get stuff into GCC Compiler Farm for years now.
There are a couple of boards IIRC. There are additional requirements
on the software side (well, distributions) that we couldn't provide
for quite some time.

> I do know rackable systems will be limited -- there's one particular
> component needed on the rackable systems that is in very short supply.
> We've got multiple orders in, but quantities are limited and lead times
> are absolutely insane.

FYI, I think, the new aarch64 builders are 8 core, 35G RAM and 8G
swap. The older machines had 8G/core setup. There seems to be 8 (?)
servers with 80 cores, but so far only 40-50 builders are enabled (no
overcommitting on CPU as that's not a great idea [based on my own
experience]).

I expect Veyron V1 to deliver a decent single and multi thread
performance, but we will need a lot of them. Probably 20-25 systems if
we assume a similar configuration as aarch64 builders (8-core, 32-64G
of RAM, 100-200G for storage). RAM and storage are cheap, but systems
will continue to be a problem. If we could somehow get to this level
we could stop investing into SBCs as they are stop-gap solutions for
builders.

Based on some guesses there isn't a lot of time either. I would love
to bootstrap CentOS Stream 10. It would be nice to have Fedora +
riscv64 in a good shape before that happens, but probably unrealistic.

Cheers,
david