Re: static USERMODEHELPER_PATH

Hello,

I want to add some missing information...

On Thursday, January 5, 2023 8:43:34 PM EST Ian Kent wrote:
> On 6/1/23 09:17, Steve Grubb wrote:
> > I work on RHEL security problems. I have been looking into a number of
> > exploits and I think we have a problem that has an easy fix.

Here's some examples of what I'm look in at:

https://twitter.com/ETenal7/status/1506708119757328385
https://lkmidas.github.io/posts/20210223-linux-kernel-pwn-modprobe/
https://etenal.me/archives/1825
https://twitter.com/ky1ebot/status/1539820418479009792
https://github.com/theori-io/CVE-2022-32250-exploit
https://seclists.org/oss-sec/2022/q3/154

etc

> > We are not
> > using the CONFIG_STATIC_USERMODEHELPER_PATH kernel config option. There
> > are a number of exploits that overwrite the path to modprobe and then
> > pass something weird that causes modprobe to be invoked. But instead of
> > modprobe, it's their reverse shell.
> >
> > If we make the assigment CONFIG_STATIC_USERMODEHELPER_PATH="/usr/" and
> > we change /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe to sbin/modprobe and /proc/sys/
> > kernel/core_pattern to lib/systemd/systemd-coredump %P %u %g %s %t %c %h,
> > then it limits any exploits to programs that are in /usr.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/
kernel/umh.c?h=v5.15#n371

> > Only root can
> > write here, therefore no escalation. Typically, an exploit changes
> > modprobe path to /tmp/ foo which is shorter than /usr/sbin/modprobe and
> > an area the attacker can control.
> >
> > For this mitigation, we'd need to:
> >
> > 1) set the config option in the kernel build
> > 2) update /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe however it's set
> > (CONFIG_MODPROBE_PATH)
> > 3) update /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern however it's set
> >
> > If we fix the modprobe path issue, there are a couple other areas that
> > call usermode helper such as handle_initrd, fork_usermode_driver,
> > CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER, and sbin/request-key which would need some touch
> > ups.
> >
> > The benefit is a lot of privilege escalation attacks are taken away.
> >
> > Does this sound worthwhile? Would people support this? Does this need to
> > be filed as a system wide change? Who could help make this happen if
> > approved?
>
> It sounds worth while to me, ;)

Thanks for the initial vote of confidence. It's 3 am in Europe, so I'll wait a
bit for feedback.

-Steve