Re: F38 proposal: Shorter Shutdown Timer (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Thu, Dec 22, 2022 at 12:35:54PM -0500, Ben Cotton wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Shorter_Shutdown_Timer
>
> This document represents a proposed Change. As part of the Changes
> process, proposals are publicly announced in order to receive
> community feedback. This proposal will only be implemented if approved
> by the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee.
>
> == Summary ==
> A downstream configuration change to reduce the systemd unit timeout
> from 2 minutes to 15 seconds.
>
> == Owner ==
> * Name: catanzaro
> * Email: mcatanzaro at redhat dot com
> * Name: aday
> * Email: aday at redhat dot com
>

> == Detailed Description ==
> Currently, a service that fails to stop at shutdown time can block
> shutdown for up to 2 minutes. This is extremely frustrating for our
> users - someone goes to shutdown or reboot their system, and then
> unexpectedly has to wait for a long time before they can do anything
> else.
>
> The most common service to cause this issue is PackageKit, but there are others.
>
> When a service fails to shutdown when it is instructed to do so, it is
> not behaving properly, and it is preventing the system from behaving
> in an orderly and predictable manner. Desktop APIs exist for cases
> when services or apps legitimately need to prevent shutdown, and these
> allow the shutdown inhibit to be communicated to admins and users, so
> they understand what is happening. When the user decides to shut down
> anyway, services must terminate in a timely manner. The Workstation
> Working Group feels that 15 seconds is the maximum appropriate time
> for both system and user services, and that Fedora should be robust to
> buggy and misbehaving services that do not shut down in an appropriate
> manner.
>
> === History ===
>
> The Workstation Working Group has been
> [https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/issue/163 working on this issue
> for several years]. Investigations have revealed that it's not
> possible to fix every misbehaving service: in some cases the
> misbehaviour comes from design flaws that are difficult to resolve.
>
> An attempt has also been
> [https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/18386 made to have the unit
> timeout changed in upstream systemd]. That attempt did not go
> anywhere, despite various efforts to move it along. We are no longer
> comfortable waiting for upstream changes to land.
>
> To our knowledge, there are no issues that will result from forcing
> services to stop after 15 seconds on typical systems. However, system
> administrators may need to configure a higher timeout if waiting
> longer for a particular service, which may be true for database
> services, for example.

I hope we can finally get this done. I'm sorry for my part in having this
stalled for so long without any progress. It never seemed like it's safe to
do. And as the discussion so far in this thread shows, there'll be some
potential issues in specific setups (databases, VMs, pinephones), so I think
that going through the Change process is the right way. At least it'll be
visible enough to get feedback and add workarounds where necessary.

Zbyszek