Re: F38 proposal: Shorter Shutdown Timer (System-Wide Change proposal)

På Thu, 22 Dec 2022 10:29:29 -0800
Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> skrev:
> On Thu, 2022-12-22 at 18:44 +0100, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 22, 2022 at 12:35:54PM -0500, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Shorter_Shutdown_Timer
> > >
> > > This document represents a proposed Change. As part of the Changes
> > > process, proposals are publicly announced in order to receive
> > > community feedback. This proposal will only be implemented if
> > > approved by the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee.
> > >
> > > == Summary ==
> > > A downstream configuration change to reduce the systemd unit
> > > timeout from 2 minutes to 15 seconds.
> >
> >   Great change, please do it!
> > Also, sometimes after reaching the timeout, systemd extends wait by
> > another 2 minutes (or 1m30). I wasn't able to find in the sources or
> > documentation why this happens, but this behaviour should be
> > blocked. Otherwise some services after 15s will get another 15, and
> > then another…
>
> 15 seconds feels very aggressive to me. I can think of some cases,
> like libvirtd automatically suspending or cleanly shutting down
> running VMs, that might well take longer than that. Could we not go
> for 30 seconds? Going all the way from 90/120 down to 15 seems pretty
> radical.

15 seconds will for sure kill the modem on the Pinephones for good.
When the shutdown command are sent to the modem, it takes 20-30 seconds
for the modem to shut down completely. Powering off the phone before the
modem has completely shut down is more or less a sure way to kill the
modem for good, as it can destroy the user space data in the modem.
You will get a lot of angry Pinephone users - if introducing this
"feature" in rawhide !