Re: F38 proposal: Unified Kernel Support Phase 1 (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Mi, 21.12.22 12:21, Neal Gompa (ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > > Doesn't support links, lournaling and ACLs.
> >
> > What you want in a boot loader: native read access, write access.
>
> Actually no, I don't want the boot loader / boot manager writing
> anything.

Well, good for you.

But I think it would be wise for Fedora to implement automatic
fallback for hosed kernels, and that requires counting boot attempts,
and that requires storing the counters somewhere. And that means we
need to store something somewhere. Hence write access from pre-boot is
typically desirable. Basically, there are too places a boot loader can
write stuff: file system and NVRAM. The latter is problematic to write to
since cheap hw supposedly doesn't allow too many write cycles before
breaking. Hence file system it must be.

If Fedora every intends to be useful for people who cannot recover a
hosed system on their own because they are Linux guru themselves, I am
pretty sure we want automatic boot assessment/fallback logic in place.

And similar for server/embedded stuff. If fedora wants to be deployed
in such worlds, it's kinda nice if we can automatically recover from
hosed updates.

I am sure Neal Gompa can recover his own machines, but not every
Fedora system comes with a Neal Gompa deployment included.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin