Re: F38 proposal: Unified Kernel Support Phase 1 (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Tue, Dec 20, 2022 at 05:11:57PM -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2022, 4:27 PM Simo Sorce <simo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2022-12-20 at 14:29 -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > > Yeah, I seriously doubt this. Linux's model for supporting
> > > confidential computing is not user-friendly, so I expect low adoption
> > > and resistance once the flaws become apparent to would-be users.
> > >

> > Neal, you are being unnecessarily negative. And user-friendliness is
> > directly related to the fact we do not have good support for it. This
> > proposal would make SecureBoot fundamentally transparent, and if you
> > don't see it and it works, I see no resistance happening.
> >
> > SecureBoot may not be to your liking but is what is installed on 99% of
> > modern hardware sold, so it is a good idea to first show you can
> > support it. Then if you have interested you can propose "something
> > better".
> >

> We have supported Secure Boot for over a decade now. In that timeframe,
> literally nobody did anything to make all the workflows you talk about
> easier and friendlier.

What's done/not done in the past should not constrain us from
trying to improve the future.

> In fact, everyone I talk to seems to think it's basically impossible
> because of how it works at the firmware level.

That is a challenge at bare metal, but with virtualization many
of the problems can be addressed. We should not in fact even need
to rely on Microsoft signing certs for virtualization. It is possible
to pre-enroll the certs associated with the guest OS the user intends
to boot. In fact it is desirable todo this, since it gives the VM
much greater protection if it only trusts the guest OS vendor certs.

> Finally, unless this proposal harms Fedora I do not see why oppose it.
> > If, as you fear, it won't work ... then it won't and we'll try
> > something else. However, having some knowledge of the (security side of
> > the) matter I do not see why it wouldn't work, once all the pieces fall
> > in place.
> >

> This adds significant complexity to the Fedora kernel package and it
> effectively increases what we need to test for virtualized Fedora Linux
> environments.

The complexity to the kernel pacakge is negligible and has been
presented to the kernel maintainers already and not had any
unsolvable concerns raised in response.

There is an increase in testing matrix, but this path is chosen
primarily to ensure we can limit the burden long term. What we
don't want is to end up in a situation where confidential VMs
use a completely different OS setup / integration to normal VMs,
which would entail shipping many extra cloud disk images. The
approach we're taking aims to make it possible to have a single
cloud disk image cover all virtualization deployment scenarios,
legacy BIOS, UEFI (with SB+TPM), and UEFI with confidential VMs
to minimize the burden of what we deliver for cloud.

With regards,
Daniel