Re: F38 proposal: Ostree Native Container (Phase 2, stable) (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Mon, Nov 21, 2022, at 10:20 AM, Jonathan Lebon wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 12:43 PM Colin Walters <walters@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> - This proposal is explicitly trying to tie everything together.  I think without the "bigger picture", it's actually *more* confusing.  For example, just pushing the container images does little unless we invest in them as a derivation source and build tooling and docs around them.
>
> I agree it's helpful to discuss this at a higher level than the
> individual pieces to make sense of it. But the proposal as is seems to
> imply it will all be done in one cycle which I agree with Dusty is
> very optimistic.

I agree.

> WDYT about introducing phases into the proposal? E.g. something like:
> - phase 1 (f38): start pushing OSTree-based variants as container
> images in Quay.io; users can opt into rebasing onto them
>
> - phase 2 (f39): automatically transition existing users to shipping
> from Quay.io; users can opt out.
> - phase 3 (f40): stop pushing OSTree repo updates entirely

I'd agree that "stop pushing ostree repo updates" probably isn't going to happen in Fedora 38.  Dunno, I guess we could try a f40 change that calls that out explicitly.

> Some concerns about this have been raised upstream already around
> whether hijacking the `dnf` command in that way could cause more
> confusion than it's worth. ISTM like a cleaner approach would be to
> build this out into `dnf` directly instead and have it drive
> rpm-ostree.

I agree with this longer term, though there's a *lot* of details here.  We have the same problem with this that exists with dnf5 in that there are a *ton* of options that dnf exposes that we're unlikely to make work anytime soon.  (A random example here is "-4 resolve to IPv4 addresses only" which seems tricky to plumb through the stack, particularly scoping in the container side).

> It would be great to get feedback from the DNF maintainers about this
> proposal and some of the ideas here.

Agreed!  I pinged them directly again but was hoping they'd see this Change and reply here.

> I think this probably makes sense generally, but I'll note that for
> Fedora CoreOS at least, the whole point is to have users' workloads
> run in containers and decoupled from the host. E.g. we've gone to
> great lengths to keep Python out for that reason (also, `cowsay` pulls
> in Perl BTW :) ). Having non-finger compatibility with `dnf install -y
> cowsay` was kind of a feature in that sense; it made users think twice
> before falling into the same patterns as other systems. Now with this
> and especially container layering, it gives more power to users but
> weakens that messaging.

This is true.  But weakening that messaging (and making the technology more flexible) also *weakens the barriers* we've set up between "CoreOS" and other editions.

(This topic gets confusing because we could be talking about the *build* side or the client side or both; I hope most people agree the CLI compatibility on the build side just makes sense)

BTW I wanted to give an update here specifically regarding the "dnf image" bit - as of late, I've been working on a fresh new "bootc" CLI, see https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree-rs-ext/pull/412 and https://github.com/cgwalters/bootc and that may make more sense for the client side.