Re: Should the policy documents better reflect real package maintenance practice?

On Thu, 2022-11-24 at 14:08 -0800, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> The policy is also a bit unclear (or just wrong as written) saying
> exceptions need to file for every update or can be just 'you have an
> exception for this package/collection of packages unless something
> changes'.

The way I read this bit is that the packages listed in the policy have
'permanent' exceptions; if you don't have one of those 'permanent'
exceptions, you must request a one-time exception from FESCo every time
you want to do a bump, and those one-time exceptions don't get written
into the 'permanent' list.

I agree it's not super clear, though. And clearly we aren't 100%
following those rules.

There's another point where we lack clarity, I think. The policy mixes
the words "must" and "should" a lot. But it doesn't make it very clear
if it's really following a strict meaning for those, like the packaging
policy, or if some of the "shoulds" are really intended as "musts"...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA