Re: Bad paths in *.pc (pkgconf) files

On Wed, Nov 16, 2022 at 10:34:42AM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> David (CC'd) is working on the Fedora RISC-V port and he noticed that
> some *.pc files in Fedora contain incorrect paths.  For example[1]:
>
>   $ pkgconf --libs libcares
>   -L/usr/usr/lib64 -lcares
>
>   $ pkgconf --libs libasyncns
>   -L/usr/lib -lasyncns
>
> On non-riscv64 this happens to work because the default search path
> includes the right directory anyway (eg. /usr/lib64).
>
> On riscv64 this causes build failures since meson seems to go off and
> search for the *.so files and then tries to construct an absolute path
> to them (I'm not sure if this isn't a bug in meson TBH).  For example:
>
>   http://fedora.riscv.rocks/koji/taskinfo?taskID=1305782
>
> This problem appears to be widespread.  I scanned just the *-devel
> packages that I happen to have installed, results below.  Not sure how
> to scan all *-devel packages in Fedora.
>
> What should we do here?  Is it worth having an RPM build step that
> checks for this problem?

Not only should the directory exist, but I think it should
exist in the same RPM that is shipping the .pc file itself.
ie the -devel package should contain the pkg-config file,
header file(s) and at least 1 unversioned .so file(s) in
the directories listed. If any of those are in different
sub-RPMs from each other it would indicate a packaging bug
as well.

Could be done as an rpmlint check, so it is caught during
package review, in addition to doing it in some post
build CI process.

With regards,
Daniel