Re: Silent changes in Packaging Guidelines

On Thu, 3 Nov 2022 at 11:26, Maxwell G via devel <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu Nov 3, 2022 at 06:50 +0100, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> When will this silliness ever stop? It just does not make sense to
> explicitly list every single file in the RPM. Wildcards are often the only
> reasonable way.

Nobody is saying that you have to list every single file in the package
or that e.g. adding `%{_datadir}/%{name}/` to %files is prohibited. It
is simply not allowed to glob absolutely everything under a shared
directory. For instance, ansible-core installs 11 different binaries
into %{_bindir} that all start with `ansible` that would be tedious to
list out manually. Instead of globing all of %{_bindir} with
`%{_bindir}/*, I could add `%{_bindir}/ansible*` which complies with
this guideline and is just as simple.

I read the section twice before posting, and because there were no examples countering it and the text for why it was done said

`The most common mistake this rule prevents is upstream adding new commands in %{_bindir}/*.`

I came to the conclusion that even `%{bindir}/ansible*` would be against this as you would still miss
a) if ansible-foobaz had been added to the package when it had not been there before
b) if ansible-foobaz was in a different package and you have an unintentional conflict.

In either case, the only fix would be to explicitly list out every filename each time so you were aware that things had been added or removed. I am not sure how to better word this to escape this confusion but having a working counterexample of saying `%{bindir}/ansible*` is ok would probably help.

At the moment the biggest set of packages that need cleanup will be perl, golang and then about a couple hundred library rpms.

--
Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle. -- Ian MacClaren