Re: Advice on packaging Python with Rust dependency

Thanks, that did the trick!

The only problem is, that one of the other dependencies which I haven't caught before is not packaged in Fedora.
So I guess there is no other way than vendor all dependencies or package the missing dependency myself.

On Tue, Nov 1, 2022 at 2:41 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 01. 11. 22 14:01, Ondrej Pohorelsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a package maintainer of Breezy [0] in Fedora.
>
> Recently in the newest version (3.3.0), which I'm trying to update to, upstream
> started requiring python-setuptools-rust as a BuildRequire,
> because they are shipping rio-py package [1]. This is a simple rust input
> output library, which requires Rust crate lazy_static.
> This is where build fails every time, because build_rust wants to update
> crates.io <http://crates.io>, which then tries to connect to the github.com
> <http://github.com>,
> which is prohibited on Fedora builders.
>
> I looked through fedora-devel threads and I found a thread[2], discussing a
> similar issue with a C package, where it was suggested to
> vendor the Rust dependencies. I don't think this is a good solution for Breezy,
> as calling `cargo vendor` creates a folder about 120 MB big.
> This is more than three times the standard package.
>
> Fortunately, we have the lazy_static dependency already packaged in Fedora[3],
> which would resolve the issue.
> The question is, how can I feed this package to build_rust, so it does not want
> to connect to the internet and crash the build all the time?
> Is this even possible, or is there a better solution?

Have a look at python-cryptography.

It has some fedora/RHEL conditionals in the spec thta show two approaches of
how it can be done.

Not sure if it will work with breezy exactly as it is there, but it should give
you some hints.

--
Miro Hrončok
--