Re: Orphaned packages looking for new maintainers

I don’t think the change in NodeJS guidelines was a success, but a cautionary tale. In fact, I think the new NodeJS guidelines are effectively unusable, because people then point out bundled fonts, web assets and minified sources not built from their original sources, and other issues in the prescribed pile of bundled dependencies. Even the example package in the NodeJS guidelines has these issues. The only theoretically available solution seems to be to discard the official bundler script, become an expert on much of the entire recursive dependency tree, hack up troublesome packages, and rebuild them from additional sources—all in one spec file—then repeat the auditing and patching effort *for every update of every NodeJS package*. To my knowledge, nobody has ever attempted that.

Prescribing “mechanical” bundling without explicitly absolving packagers from the usual level of responsibility for the bundled files is not a recipe for a viable ecosystem.

– Ben Beasley (FAS music)