Re: Orphaned packages looking for new maintainers

On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 3:44 PM Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 3:17 PM Kalev Lember <kalevlember@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I went ahead and picked up fragments and gnome-feeds. If anyone else is interested in them even a tiny bit, please let me know. I'd appreciate co-maintainers a lot here.

I think fragments has recently been rewritten in Rust? You might need
help with updating to the latest version ...

Yep, fragments was rewritten in rust. I'd definitely appreciate help with updating it if you are interested!

In any case, I'd like to figure out the GNOME + rust packages story. Right now when someone mentions that something was rewritten in rust, that sounds a lot like a death sentence for the Fedora package. I don't think it should be like that; and I'd like to fix that.

I guess for that we have two options: either package up a critical mass of rust crates that GNOME rust modules are likely going to use, or alternatively come up with a good guide and rules on how to correctly bundle rust crates in leaf apps.

And as far as I know, gnome-feeds was superseded by newsflash? Which
is also written in Rust, but no longer packaged for Fedora (and I
recommend using the flatpak, because the upstream project is an
un-package-able mess ...)

Ah, could be -- I only picked it up so it wouldn't get removed from Fedora as it seemed like a useful thing and I didn't want to let Artem's good work go to waste. It does seem to be getting some attention upstream still though: https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/gfeeds

Just to be clear, I don't use either fragments nor gnome-feeds, which is why I'd love co-maintainers :) I only picked them up to avoid them getting axed immediately.

--
Kalev