Re: F40 proposal: Porting Fedora to Modern C (System-Wide Change proposal)

On 10/26/22 02:58, Florian Weimer wrote:
* Richard W. M. Jones:

On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 10:05:52AM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
Neither change is trivial to implement because introducing errors for
these constructs (as required by C99) alters the result of autoconf
configure checks. Quite a few such checks use an implicitly declared
`exit` function, for instance. These failures are not really related
to the feature under test. If the build system is well written, the
build still succeeds, the relevant features are automatically disabled
in the test suite and removed from reference ABI lists, and it's not
immediately apparent that feature is gone. Therefore, some care is
needed that no such alterations happen, and packages need to be ported
to C99. Various tools for this porting activity are being developed to
support this proposal. Cross-distribution collaboration will help as
well, sharing patches and insights.
Would it help if we made autoreconf (and the equivalent step for other
build systems) mandatory?  Debian has declared this as "good practice"
since forever[0].

It would mean we could fix any problems in current autoconf
concurrently with the changes to GCC and Fedora.
I'm not aware of any recent-ish core autoconf issues that would be
solved by running autoreconf (if that actually worked …).  As far as I
can tell, autoconf never relied on implicit function declarations for
AC_CHECK_FUNC, not since 1993.  The sed hack we already have is for LTO
compatibility.

Right.  I nearly chimed in on this topic.  It helps if we can autoreconf as I think that might let us remove some of the LTO insanity, but it's independent of implicit functions.

Jeff